Monday, May 16, 2011

Expanding Horizons

When you are looking for work, consider expanding your horizons. If you are able to relocate don't rule that out. I am single, with no kids and own no property. I would love to be able to stay near the friends I have made in school and be within an hours drive of my family, but now that's just not feasible.

Do your research. If other areas of the state you live in have more opportunities, apply there. If you aren't rooted in your present location, expand your job search to a national level. Sure the economy is weak all over right now, but some places are better off than others.

Right now, and I probably should not give away this secret until I have secured a job, Texas is doing all right for itself. When I realized all of the jobs I was looking at in my local area were way above my pay grade and education level, I expanded the search a few miles. Then I read an article listing the best places to find work, and I began looking nationally.

When applying to a large company that has many locations, if they ask if you are willing to relocate, say yes! It may be hard to pick up and move at the present time, but they are more likely to look at a candidate who is willing to work for them anywhere they need them. So what you have to live in a new location for a little while?

I for one am looking forward to starting over in a location that does not consider three inches of snow in an hour "light flurries". I'm excited to work somewhere that does not consider it a "summer day" when it breaks 75 degrees. The weather is just one advantage to a new life. Where I live now the taxes on a case of water are more than the case costs on sale. Even if I did find a job, I still couldn't afford to live here, so I am getting out while the getting is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment