Thursday, June 2, 2011

Resources

So as I have posted many many times before, I tend to browse sites like Monster and Careerbuilder looking for work. Yesterday I was checking my email for the millionth time to see if any of the applications I had filed had been accepted when I got an email from the state of Illinois.

You see, I had been receiving unemployment compensation from the state until September of last year, and along with the bi-weekly paycheck, they state has job search resources. I had forgotten about Illinois Work Net, a free resource from the Department of Employment Security. I ran over there, got a resume built and started using their job search tools. The search tools they have there are pretty amazing, instead of being limited to just one site like I had been before, they search all of the sites and give me a list of jobs meeting the parameters I entered.

In addition to the awesome job search capabilities the state offers, it has resources for building a good resume and writing a cover letter. It connects you with networking sites like linkedin and has facebook resources as well.

The point I am making here is do not make the mistake I did. Find out about your available job search resources before two years go by without a real job. Take advantage of every opportunity offered to you and as always, good luck fellow employment challenged Americans!

No comments:

Post a Comment